So I got my stitches out yesterday… woo hoo! Unfortunately, though, all was not well. Apparently some water had soaked in under the Tegraderm bandage and caused maceration around the wounds. Now, I had changed the dressing on Sunday and the wounds had been dry so I guess my shower on Sunday evening was to blame. Or probably the fact that I was running late for The Dark Knight Rises so I had to put the wrap on my knee before the are had dried.
Anyhow, my stitches, or, more accurately, sutures, were good to be removed so they were cut and removed. They also poured some hydrogen peroxide on it and asked me to keep doing that for the next couple of days to make sure the wound didn’t infected. They put some 3M steri-stips on the wounds which apparently keeps them closed, or something. I was also put on a 1 week antibiotics course. In good news, I was permitted to shower without a garbage bag (double woo hoo!). I’m hoping the wound stays uninfected.
I also went back for my first full day of work yesterday and it was not bad at all. In fact, the bending and straightening of the knees is promoting blood flow, I think, because the pain when standing up has decreased quite a bit. It’s still present, but it’s probably on the level of a 4-5, now. If I had to rank the pain, I have the most while standing still, the second-most while walking and the least while sitting down with my leg flat.
That’s it for now! I’ll have some more photos later this week when the wounds don’t look disgusting.